Monday, July 20, 2009

Watermelon Martini's

Watermelon Martini's.


Refreshing. Summertime in a glass.

Having food left in the house that needs to be used always inspires me. I hate to through food away and sometimes I buy things with the best of intention but don't seem to use it up. It's those times that I get creative and try to figure out what to do with it. Such is the case with the watermelon I recently bought. It was bigger than I thought and I can only eat so much watermelon ya know what I mean? At the end of a few days I thought ah oh what do I do with the rest of this thing?

Start by cutting the watermelon into small chunks. I had about 5 or 6 cups of cut up watermelon. Put it in a blender and puree it until smooth. Then ran it through a mess strainer. This gets all the pulp out and makes for a smoother cocktail.

Make some simple syrup by using equal parts water and sugar, in this case 1/2 cup of each. Heat in a small saucepan until sugar is dissolved and simmer for approximately 3 minutes to get thick and syrupy. Allow to cool completely.










Add the simple syrup to the watermelon puree and chill well.

Chill the martini glasses by filling with ice cubes and allow to sit while making the tini.









For one martini combine in a martini shaker:
  • 1 shot vodka
  • 1/2 shot melon liqueur
  • 1/2 shot fresh lemon juice
  • 2 shots watermelon juice
  • shaved ice

Shake well and pour into chilled martini glasses. Summer in a glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments