Friday, July 17, 2009

Food News





I am constantly reading articles about food. They fascinate me. What is OK to eat what is not? What does our food supply do for us? Or how it can make us sick. I recently found some good information from the Environmental Working Group web site that I would like to share.

The site offers a list of the produce we should buy organic and what is OK to purchase through conventional growing methods. The organic list is referred to as the dirty dozen. Love that. At the top of the list are peaches. I have been buying peaches once a week for the past few weeks. I love love love peaches. And now I feel a sense of great relief.... that I bought only organic peaches considering they are number one on the dirty dozen list. Whew!

The web site has a cut out list that you can print and carry on you for easy reference. Its called the Shoppers Guide to Pesticides and it lists the dirty dozen and the top clean 15, which are the top 15 items that are considered tolerable to buy non organic, or that are on the lower part of the list for pesticide load. They also have a PDF file that lists many more items which is handy for the kitchen and a program for all you iPhone users so you can download it to your iPhone.
The web site is: http://www.foodnews.org/. I hope you take a look and find something helpful to you and your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments