Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Peach Jam


PEACH JAM


Peach Jam is such a treat during the summer months. Go to the farmers market and find the best peaches you can. When they are at their best it is time bring them home in a big basket and prepare them for cooking. They will never be as good as at this moment.



I had fond memories of my Grandmother making plum jam for us every season. We loved it. We ate a ton of peanut butter and plum jam sandwiches through the years. And whenever we had biscuits for dinner, guess what......plum jam was always on the table. In a cute little glass bowl with a silver spoon. I don't think I can recreate Grandmothers plum jam so I thought I would try making peach.

This is a very simple process. Even simpler if you just eat it soon and don't bother canning it. But if you want it to hold up for later in the year you will have to can it. Can you imagine in the middle of winter you can open a jar and taste the fresh summer taste of those peaches?

I use 4 peaches for this recipe and it makes two small jars of jam. Peel the peaches and cut up into a saucepan catching all the juice in the pan. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of sugar. This will depend on how sweet the fruit is and how sweet you like your jam. I don't like mine too sweet so I use as little sugar as possible. Then add 1/2 a diced green apple (skin removed) and a pinch of cinnamon. Allow to cook about 20 minutes stirring every few minutes and keeping a close eye on it. You want the fruit to be soft and the apple to cook into the peaches and the sauce to start to thicken. Add 2 tablespoons Grand Mariner and cook another 10 minutes. It should not be too watery, if it is cook a few minutes longer.

If you do not want to make this for yourself I will do it for you. I am currently making large batches of this jam and canning them. I sell them for $6.95.

Simply email me for your jar of fresh Peach Jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments