Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Meyer Lemon Cake







It's meyer lemon season. I love love love meyer lemons. I have a small plant in a pot on my balcony that generate fruit all year long but I usually beg, borrow or buy the fruit in larger quantites this time of year. Each season I try to think of different things to make with them. Some of my favorites are:

Meyer Lemon Cake. Serve with coffee or tea for dessert. A slice for breakfast is not too bad either.

Lemoncello. Keep it in the freezer and serve ice cold. It also makes a wonderful martini. We use the juice of the lemon in the martini too.

Meyer Lemon Marmalade. I was never a fan of marmalade until I made this one....and then I was hooked. Serve on really good toast with some french butter.

Lemon curd which can be used in various ways. I use it as a filling for buttermilk cake and make a simple syrup to top the cake layers. Again this can be served on toast.

I thought I would share with lemon cake recipe with you in this post.

Ingredients for cake:
8 tbsp unsalted butter
4 large eggs, separated
1 1/4 cups sugar
2/3 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup meyer lemon juice
1 tbsp meyer lemon zest
2 cups cake flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt


Ingredients for glaze:
1/3 cup meyer lemon juice
1 2/3 cups confectioners sugar

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Melt butter in saucepan and set aside to cool. In mixer beat egg yolks and 1 cup sugar until thick and light in color, about 3 minutes. Add buttermilk, lemon juice and zest. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. In separate bowl beat egg whites to soft peaks. Add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and continue beating until stiff. Fold the flour mixture into the egg yolk mixture, followed by the beaten egg whites, taking care not to deflate the batter. Gently fold butter into the mixture. Pour into buttered and floured 9 inch cake pan and bake for 60 minutes or until cake is lightly brown and pulling away from sides of pan. Cool slighty and invert on plate. To make the glaze mix the lemon juice and confectioners sugar in a bowl until very smooth. Poke holes in top of cake and spoon glaze over. The glaze gets down into the cake and makes it extra special yummy.