Sunday, January 25, 2009

New Potatoes with Caviar








My friend Nancy was sent 5 jars of caviar for Christmas. Yes I said 5 jars! (Her sister is very generous.) Imagine how disappointed I was when she asked me to cook with her so we could eat the caviar. Oh yea baaabeee! We made these new potatoes topped with caviar and ate them with a bottle of Frank Family champagne. One word. Fantastic!

I look for the smallest new potatoes I can find but if they are larger just cut them in half. Cover the bottom of a pan with them and then add a bottle of inexpensive champagne or sparkling wine. Add some lemon peel and fennel seed. Boil the potatoes until just tender using a paring knife to gently check them being careful not to break the potato. Remove them from the liquid, plate and allow to cool. Use a melon balleror a small knife to create a little hole in the top. Add a dollop of creme fraiche and some caviar. Be sure not to use metal when touching the caviar. If you don't have the traditional mother of pearl caviar spoon, use plastic.

You can make these for a party and refrigerate the potatoes for a couple of days. Just add the creme fraiche and caviar at the last moment.

I can't wait to see what we do with the other 4 jars of caviar!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments