Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Fig Jam
















Who'd a thunk? Fig Jam? I would never have believed I would like it so much. I am not a huge fan of figs in the first place so imagine my surprise when I tasted it. I fully expected not to care for it. But then I tried it and something happened in my mouth....I had a moment..... you know what I mean.....I was totally surprised. I had to admit it was really good. What the hell?

Fig jam is not like a jelly or something that is used in the typical way a fruit jam is used. It is like a condiment. It is used to enhance the flavor of another food source. In this case cheese is the food source and the fig jam enjoyed with it. It adds to the enjoyment of the cheese and offers a different taste sensation.

Fresh figs are always preferred but this recipe is made with dried. They are soaked in simple syrup and brandy (hello...anything with brandy has to be good) and then put in the food processor with some toasted hazelnuts. The result is amazing. The consistency of the end product is course, somewhat chunky.

To serve: start with a beautiful platter or plate, get yourself a hunk of manchego cheese and some slightly salty crackers and a jar of the jam. Then open a bottle of wine and dig in. I used multigrain crackers and found that they added to the full flavor and the salt of the cracker pumps up the taste.

If you entertain it is nice to have something to serve as an appetizer that is different, tasty, and still allow you the energy to make dinner.

I now make this on a regular basis so that I always have jars on hand to open for guests or to give to friends.

Fig Jam $ 6.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments