Sunday, July 20, 2014

Quinoa Almond Pancakes



Who knew quinoa could be so darn good in pancakes?  I was shocked how well these came out.  And my husband loved them so these are a keeper. I will never make regular pancakes again! 

I did not develop this recipe, it is from Jeanette's Healthy Living.  This woman must be a genius!  I've got to give credit where it's due.

Almond flour is a great substitute for white or whole wheat flour and I love using it.  I buy it from Trader Joes and keep it in a freezer bag in the freezer. It will go bad quickly and this way I keep it fresh longer. I just take out the amount I need for a recipe and return the rest to the freezer. You can grind the almond meal a little more to make it lighter like a flour but I used it they way it is and it was fine.

I also found out that when I blended the batter in the vitamix it was extremely thick and hard to blend. The reaction is to add more milk, but if you do the pancakes will be too thin, more like a crepe, and they are extremely hard to flip.  So try to keep the batter a little on the thick side.  I also cooked mine in Ghee although the original recipe calls for coconut oil.  I just prefer my pancakes cooks in butter for the flavor. 

I also served mine with a small amount of butter, hot syrup, and freshly sliced strawberries. Any type of fresh berry would be delish.  

Ingredients for pancakes:
1 cup cooked quinoa 
1 cup almond flour, or meal  
4 tbsp coconut oil 
2 eggs
1/2 to 1 cup almond milk 
4 tsp baking powder 
2 tbsp maple syrup 
1 tsp vanilla 
1/2 tsp salt 

Other ingredients:
Ghee 
butter 
maple syrup 
fresh strawberries 

Put all the pancake ingredients into a blender or vitamix and blend until smooth. Lightly grease a hot skillet and pour 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. Cook until brown, a couple of minutes, and very gently flip to other side and cook for about 1 minute more.  Plate and top with butter, hot syrup and berries.

If you have issues with sugar, or are diabetic, serve without the syrup. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments