Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Green Lentil Hummus



I will admit that this appetizer is not exactly the most attractive looking dish. I mean its green, and there is not much you can do to it to make it attractive. You could add a few springs of cilantro for a garnish , which is even more green :)  But it is delicious as well as healthy so its ok in my book.
  
I try to eat lentils on a regular basis, and I do love them, but the idea of making a healthy dip that I could serve to guests or take to a party is appealing to me.  I like to show people that they can eliminate the unhealthy stuff and eat well.

This dip is good on crackers and pita chips, but I would also serve it with veggie crudites, and perhaps spread on a sandwich.

Ingredients: 
3 cups veggie broth 
1 cup green lentils 
1 bay leaf 
3 cloves garlic
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 tsp ground cumin 
pinch cayenne pepper 
1/4 cup cilantro 
pinch sweet paprika 

In a saucepan combine the broth, lentils, bay leaf.  Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to very low heat for 45 minutes.  Uncover and allow to cool. Discard the bay leaf. 

Put the lentils in the food processor.  Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth.  Chill and serve.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments