Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Black Rice Salad

Black Rice, or Forbidden Rice, is a fairly new food item for most people. I've been playing around with it for the last couple years and have come to absolutely love the stuff.  And don't you kind of have to love something called forbidden?

I am sorry to say that somehow I neglected to take a picture of the finished product. 

Apparently the black rice contains a compound that helps with fatigue.  I've been making it for breakfast as a warm porridge and I'm mad for it.

I made this salad recipe for a picnic and of course it was a big hit.  My friend took her first couple of bites and said oh I must have this recipe. The best part is that you can make a bowl of it and it's good kept in the refrigerator for days.   

I do love a meyer lemon but when I made this they were not in season so I used a regular lemon but I used a tangerine balsamic I happened to have instead of the white wine vinegar.  It added to the slightly citrus note of the dressing.  This shows that you can alter this recipe to use what you have or what you love.  Go crazy!  

Ingredients: 
1 cup black rice 
1/2 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
1/4 cup Meyer lemon juice or 3 Tbsp regular lemon juice
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp agave or honey
1/4 cup olive oil 
4 scallions, thinly sliced 
1 cup shelled edamame
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved 
4 ounces haricot vert or green beans, cut into bite size pieces  
Salt and Pepper 

Cook the black rice according to package directions.  Allow to cool.

If you edamame is uncooked put into a pot of boiling water and cook according to package directions.  Allow to cool.  

In the same pot add the green beans and blanch for 2 minutes. Remove and cool.

Make the dressing: in a small bowl combine the lemon juice, vinegar, agave and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. 

In a large mixing bowl add the rice, edamame, green beans, tomatoes, green onions, walnuts and toss with the dressing, mix well.  Check for seasoning. 

Chill and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments