Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Strawberry Shortcake with Lemon Cream


It's strawberry season and we were having dinner guests so I wanted to make a strawberry shortcake. But not just the regular ol' thing.  First of all, it had to be gluten free so I could eat it, and I wanted it to have a little twist.  After all, when this couple comes over they expect really good food from my kitchen.  

The first thing I tried to search out was a good from scratch shortcake recipe, but to no avail.  I ended up buying a mix at Whole Foods, a gluten free muffin mix.  I spiffed it up with some lemon zest and juice and made muffins which I then cut in half and used as the shortcake. 

I put half the muffin on the plate, then piled on some of the cream, then the strawberries, and then topped it with the other half of the muffin.  It looked pretty cute! Please excuse this picture. I forgot to take a picture when I plated it so my husband took a shot with his phone before he demolished it. 

For the strawberries I washed and cleaned them, cut them into slices, added a little sugar, I mean a little.  Then I smashed just a few to get the juices going and allowed it to sit for a an hour.  

For the cream I took 1 cup of organic whipping cream and whipped it until stiff. Then I added one jar or my homemade Meyer Lemon Curd, gave a little mix.  I did not mix it completely because I wanted it to have ribbons of cream and curd going through it. 

And that was all it took.  It was quite good.  My dinner guests liked it so much they asked if they could take the rest of it home to eat the next day.  Mission accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments