Sunday, April 21, 2013

Almond Milk Chocolate Pudding


Pudding.  It's a dessert from my childhood and I have fond memories of it. My grandmother taught me how to make homemade pudding when I was quite young, and I fell in love with it.  Much as I would love to eat it as an adult I don't because it is usually made with milk which is a problem for both me and my husband.  Over the years I've tried various recipes with other products like soy or rice milk but they leave a lot to be desired. 

This recipe is made with almond milk which is what we use in our house on a regular basis.  It is also made with the best quality cocoa powder, which results in a surprisingly rich end product.  I was quite surprised at how good this was so it is now has a permanent place in my recipe book. 

Ingredients:
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed 
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 
2 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch 
1/2 tsp cinnamon 
1/8 tsp salt
2 cups unsweetened almond milk
1 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small dice
1/2 tsp vanilla 
Topping:  freshly whipped cream 

In a medium saucepan combine brown sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt, whisk to combine, then add almond milk.  Bring to a boil, continue whisking and cook for 1 minute until thick. Remove from heat then whisk in the butter and vanilla. Cool and chill well. Cover with plastic wrap to prevent skin from forming.    You can leave it all in one bowl, or spoon into individual bowls or cups for single serving sizes. Makes 4 servings. 

To serve, whip whipping cream, add a touch of vanilla and top the pudding.  You could also top with some sliced almonds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments