Monday, November 5, 2012

Flaxseed Pancakes




I know what you're thinking. Flaxseed pancakes?  That sounds horrible!  Well hold on a minute, because they are not horrible.  They are not even close to horrible.  When I made them I was astounded (filled with overwhelming surprise or shock). Yep that about sums it up.  I was astounded!  These took me by complete surprise.  I made them because I am always looking for healthy nutritious recipes that up the nutrition quotient and provide good prolonged energy, plus flax seeds have Omega 3's which is a bonus. I had to try them for no other reason. I fully expected them to "taste healthy" but not be so great tasting. I gotta say I was completely wrong. These are so good that now I make them because I crave them. They taste just like a good blueberry pancake would and I love that I can eat them with abandon, feeling the energy and good stuff cursing through my body. Ok enough of that! 

This recipe is supposed to serve two but I made them one time and ate the entire thing myself. I could not stop. 

The protein power takes the place of the flour. A pretty neat trick if you ask me. 

The recipe:
In a bowl mix the dry ingredients 
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/4 cup protein powder (I use vanilla flavored) 
1 tsp baking powder 
pinch of salt 
1 tbsp of any sugar you prefer or 1 package stevia

In a second bowl mix the wet ingredients 
3 eggs 
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream 
1 tbsp Greek yogurt or sour cream 
Vanilla, a big dash 

Fresh Berries 

Add the dry to the wet and mix gently until just combined.  

Using a non stick pan to cook the pancakes, and no oil is necessary. If you want to use a small amount of oil, use coconut oil.

The topping should be fresh berries. I like to use blueberries Mash them and add a little sweetener of your choice.  Serve this over the pancakes.  You can also drizzle on just a tiny bit of maple syrup or agave if you  must have it but it is good with just the fruit.  

Options:  You could replace the yogurt with ricotta and you could add some chopped nuts. Yum! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments