Monday, October 29, 2012

Sausage over Polenta

Some of my favorite dishes have come out of my kitchen out of necessity. I had no plans for this dish, it just happened. I found a package of sausage in my freezer that had been there for a while and I knew I needed to use it up or throw it out soon. Plus it was one of those days when I just could not stand going out for groceries again. I was trying to find something I could throw together for dinner and I thought of those sausage.  

I also found a little bag of polenta in the pantry, that I honestly did not even know I had.  Bingo, polenta and sausage!  A no brainer.  And I always have cans of tomatoes in my pantry so this dish was born.

Saute 4 sausages for 5 minutes per side in heavy saute pan. Allow the sausage to get some good color on it so keep the heat up high. After the 10 minutes of cooking time deglaze the pan with 1/2 cup of wine or broth. Scrape up all the bits off the bottom of the pan. Add 2 large cloves of garlic, minced, 1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes, 1 tablespoon of dried oregano  and simmer on low for about 20 minutes  covered.  Turn the sausage over and continue to cook another 20 minutes more. The sausage will be tender and the sauce will have reduced. If you loose to much moisture you can add in a little water. 

In the meantime cook 1 cup of polenta in 3 cups of salted water for 5 minutes or according to package directions. Whisk constantly.  Turn off heat and add 3 tablespoons butter and 1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine and allow all to melt. 

To serve, make a pile of polenta in the bottom of a bowl, put 2 sausage over each, and spoon on sauce.  Grate a little more cheese over all.  

Makes 2 servings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments