Monday, April 2, 2012

Snack bars - gluten free



Now that I am dealing with gluten sensitivity I can't eat bread, or baked goods, or multigrain pancakes, one of my weekend pleasures, boo hoo!  And it's been months without any kind of starchy carb.  It's been easier than I first imagined, and I finally got used to the idea and adjusted my diet accordingly.  But now that I have mastered this I find I just want something familiar. You know, a baked good of some kind, similar to a cookie or a piece of cake.  Is that too much to ask?  That being said, I am on the hunt for recipes that allow me to eat something that looks and feels like a wheat product. 

I have to say that now days there are so many more recipes that are gluten free it's actually easy to find things to make. I've tried many different prepared products from the store and most of them leave much to be desired. I've discovered that when it comes to gluten free it really is best to make my own.

This recipe is one of first I tried and I thought it came out pretty well. It is nice to have a healthy snack around that I can have mid afternoon or that my husband can take with him to work.  
One of the nice things about this recipe is that it's quite simple to change up. You can add cranberry's instead of raisins.  You can use different nuts and seeds, some dried fruits, flax seed.  I've tried this with some soy flour and it works well so experiment with different combinations of flours.  You can use honey instead of agave. As you can see, this is a good base recipe that you can have fun with.  

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups almond flour
1/4 tsp Celtic sea salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
1/4 cup agave nectar
1 tsp vanilla 
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup almond slivers
1/4 cup raisins

In a small bowl combine the almond flour, salt and baking soda.
In a large bowl combine the grapeseed oil, agave and vanilla.
Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
Mix in coconut, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds and raisins.
Grease a 8 x 8 inch Pyrex baking dish with grapeseed oil.
Press dough into the baking dish, patting down evenly.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. 
Allow to cool completely.
Cut into 12 bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments