Sunday, August 14, 2011

Tomato sandwiches with basil mayo

Every year I wait for the heirloom tomatoes to come into season.  I don't know about you but I think the only way to get a good tomato is from your local grower, or grow them yourself if you have the room. Those tomatoes they sell in the supermarket year round are not tomatoes, they only look like tomatoes.  They have no flavor and the consistency is all wrong.  Go to the farmers market and buy fresh locally grown tomatoes and then you will know what a real tomato tastes like.  I can eat them every day, and do, because I want to get my fill while they are in season.  One of the best ways to use them up is to make tomato sandwiches.  I eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  Any time of day is good for a tomato sandwich.  And since I made the basil mayo they are tomatoes on steroids.

Ingredients:
Multi grain bread, or any good quality bread, slightly toasted
Basil Mayonnaise  (see previous recipe on blog)
Sliced heirloom tomato
Very good quality olive oil
Sea Salt
Freshly ground pepper

Toast your bread slightly.  Smear with basil mayo.  Top with a nice thick slice of heirloom tomato.  Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Open wide! I hope you get hooked on them just like I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments