Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Onions with Balsamic Glaze





Cipolle al Aceto - Onions with Balsamic Glaze


I was at the farmers market last weekend and found these Cipolle onions. I rarely buy them but decided I needed to expand my food world. Sometimes you just need to try something new. You can't eat the same thing week after week. So I bought a bag full and then proceeded to figure out what to do with them.


Cooking them in a balsamic glaze proved to be a winner. They are so flavorful. Serve them as part of an antipasto or on a salad. I went to an outdoor movie night and brought them as part of our picnic. They were a big hit!






The recipe:
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 pounds onions, cut in half and peeled
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar
  • 1 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
You can use large Spanish onions or red onions and cut them in half. Because I used the small Cipolle I left them whole.


Heat the olive oil in a heavy saute pan, I used my old cast iron skillet, then add the butter and cook until the foam subsides. Add the peeled onions cut side down and saute until light golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.





Add the sugar, vinegar, water and rosemary and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Keep on eye on them so the sauce does not reduce too quickly and burn. Cook the onions, uncovered, until the onion are tender and the liquid has reduced to a glaze. This might take about 20 minutes. If the liquid cooks off too quickly add a little more water. You want the onions to be done all the way through and the liquid to be a glaze consistency but not burn.


You can serve these right away but I like to put them in a jar and refrigerate them for a few days. I think they taste richer and deeper after sitting a few days. If refrigerated take them out and allow to come to room temp before serving.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments