Thursday, August 15, 2013

Coconut flour and chia seed mini muffins




I've been experimenting a lot with gluten free flour products and coconut flour is my new favorite so I tried making these muffins with coconut flour and chia seeds.  Chia seeds are so healthy because they are a great source of omega 3's.  If I can get them into a muffin I'm going to be feeling pretty healthy when I eat it. 

The difficult part about not eating gluten is that I desperately miss bread.    I used to make homemade bread and eat it while it was still warm with butter. My mouth is salivating.  So you will understand that since I can't do that anymore I really miss bread and bread like products. If I can find a recipe that helps with that craving and it is healthy I am in.  I made a batch of these and kept them by the coffee maker for a few days so I could have two with my coffee each morning. What a splurge for me!

Remember these are mini muffins, not full size, so they are tiny. These would be great if you were having the girls over for brunch. It's a nice little treat but not so horrible anyone is going to feel guilty about eating it.   

Ingredients: 
3 large eggs, room temp 
1/4 unsweetened applesauce 
3 tbsp honey
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted 
2 tbsp chia seeds 
1 tbsp lemon zest 
1 tsp vanilla 
1/4 coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground ginger
Sea salt, pinch 
Dried cherries, handful

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  
Use paper liners in the mini muffin pan or cooking spray for prevent sticking.

In a food processor puree the eggs, applesauce, honey, coconut oil, chia seeds, lemon zest, and vanilla.  Add the coconut flour, baking soda, ginger and salt and puree until smooth. 

Divide that batter between 12 muffin cups.  Press a few pieces of dried cherry on top of each muffin.  Press down slightly so they don't pop out while baking. 

Bake for 20 minutes or until dry when tested with a toothpick inserted in the center. Cool completely in the pan. 

Store in an airtight container.  

I want to thank Daily Blog Bites.com for the recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments