Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Cape Cod Chopped Salad


I have to admit that every once in a while I am completely taken by Ina Garten. Does that mean I have a girl crush????  I think she just knows how to cook. It seems that everything she makes, I want to make. Do you watch those cooking show on TV?  Sometimes I watch and I think yuck there is no way I would make that!  But then Ina comes on and I want it all.  This is her recipe which I have adapted as my own. I've cut it in half so that it serves 2 instead of 4 for one. That's just enough for me and my husband.  I have also added the baby greens since most people don't like a salad that is all arugula.    

For the salad:
4 slices bacon
2 handfuls of baby greens
1 handful of arugula
1 granny smith apple, cored and diced
1/4 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped 
1/4 dried cranberries 
3 ounces blue cheese, crumbled 

For the dressing: 
1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar 
1/2 tsp grated orange zest 
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice 
1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard 
1 tablespoon maple syrup 
Salt and pepper, freshly ground 
1/3 olive oil

To make the dressing put the first 7 ingredients into a bowl and begin whisking, and slowly poor in the olive oil to create and emulsion.   You will have more dressing than you need for two servings so I put it in a container and save it and use it the next day. (I don't like waste in my kitchen!)  The dressing is great on just plain ol' lettuce.

Cook the bacon however you choose. Ina's method is to put a rack on a baking sheet and put the bacon on the rack and cook it in the oven .  If you select this method she recommends a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. I find that method a little to labor intensive because I don't like to wash the pans so I don't use it.  Most people use a skillet and fry the bacon, which is fine too.  I put it on a paper towel, on top of a plate, and cook it in the microwave.  I cook it a minute at a time, checking it each time, until I get it to the crunchy point that I want it.
Allow to cool then chop up into pieces.

In a large bowl toss together the greens, apple, walnuts, cranberries, blue cheese, and bacon.   Toss the salad with just enough dressing to coat, sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Mound on plates and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments