Monday, March 5, 2012

Kale Waldorf Salad


I have grown to appreciate kale.  Over the past several years I've tried all the greens I can find and tried to figure out how to get them into my diet on a regular basis.  The thing with kale is that can be tough so I usually saute it or use it raw with other greens. Adding a little bit to a salad is fine but I have never used all kale for a salad. No time like the present right? Now that I am a health coach I want to try all kinds of healthy recipes to make them available to my clients.

This recipe serves 4 to 6.  I made a large bowl of it and I was only able to eat a small bowl full.  But my husband loved it and eat the other large bowl full. So I would say it would appeal to some and not others. I would serve this are part of a buffet with other dishes because each person would take a small serving.


Ingredients
4 cups packed firmly finely chopped kale
1 large apple, chopped
1 cup thinly sliced celery
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp raisins or cranberry's
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
2 tbsp dijon mustand
2 tbsp water, more if needed
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/8 tsp salt

Place kale in large bowl.  Add half the apple to the kale along with the celery, 1/4 cup walnuts, and 1/4 cup raisins. 

Put remaining apple in blender along with remaining 1/4 walnuts, 2 tbsp raisins, the mustard, vinegar, water and salt. Blend well until smooth. Add more water if it is too thick. Pour over salad in bowl and toss well.

Allow to sit in the refrig for a least 15 minutes so the kale absorbs some of the dressing.

1 comment:

  1. lovin' your recipes, Denise! This recipe for kale is a fantastic idea...since it's my new best friend.

    ReplyDelete

Comments