Monday, November 14, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup


As usual, when Fall has arrived I start wanting soup.  Lots of soup. I love it for dinner. It is warm and comforting and can be very nutritious. 

I usually buy butternut squash soup but this year I decided to try and make my own.  I looked at several recipes and then took what I liked and made up my own.

This recipe makes 8 servings which is a lot. The nice thing is that you can have it for a dinner party if you are having several people over as it is a great first course.  Or simply keep it in the fridge for a few days for dinner and lunch.  A cup for lunch with a grilled cheese sandwich is not bad.  Doesn't that remind you of your childhood?   

Ingredients:
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 celery ribs-diced small
2 carrots-diced small
1 medium onion-diced small 
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 pound potato-peeled and coarsely chopped
2 medium granny smith apples-peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
1 1/2 pound butternut squash - peeled and coarsely chopped
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
2 cups water
Optional garnishes:  bacon bits, sour cream, green apple slices

Cook celery, carrot, onion in oil until softened but not brown. 

Add cinnamon and stir for 1 minute.

Add squash, potato, apple, stock, water, salt, and pepper.  Simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.

Puree all in batches in blender.
Put back in pot to rewarm as needed.
If it is too thick simply add more stock or water.
Serve hot with desired garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments