Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Blueberry Tarts



Blueberry Tarts
One recipe - two dishes! How can you not love that?
I had filling left from the cheese danish I made. (see previous post) I had just bought a lovely basket of blueberries and I had a sheet of puff pastry in the freezer. The mock blueberry tart was born. I love when this happens.
I've gotten pretty good about looking around my kitchen and making something with whatever is on hand. In this instance it come in very handy because I was having a dinner guest and the creme brullee I had made did not turn out. I made the tarts at the same time I made the creme brulee only because it would provide something for later and cooking multiple dishes at one time saves so much time. One cooking session, one mess to clean up but two dishes to enjoy. Good thing I did this. I was able to heat the tarts and serve them with vanilla ice cream. My dinner guest loved them and so did we. So of course I made them again the next week just to test the ingredients and to confirm how easy they were to make. They are indeed very easy to make and they taste so darn good for a quickie recipe. This recipe is perfect for people who want tasty homemade desserts but don't want to spend hours in the kitchen.
Set four ramekins on a baking sheet. Take a sheet of the puff pastry and cut it into four squares. Put one square into each ramekin. Fill with one large tablespoon of the cheese filling, see previous post for cheese danish recipe. Add a handful of fresh blueberries. Sprinkle with some torbinado sugar. Fold the corners into the center. Brush with egg white. Bake for 12 minutes, rotate pan and bake for 12 more minutes.
My favorite way to serve this is warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. You can remove them from the ramekins and plate them so that when the ice cream starts melting it has a place to land. Other than your mouth that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments