Monday, May 11, 2009

Tomato caper sauce



My daughter is a health nut and she recently inspired me to try and make healthier meals for my husband and myself. I decided I would make a sauce, well not really a sauce, a compote maybe, but it had to have lots of flavor because I am trying to eat more fish. I love fish I just don't know how to cook it very well. And I get bored easily so I need different recipes. I can't make the same thing over and over. I need lots of variety.

This combination of flavors was perfect for us and with the fish it was deeelish!




Ingredients:
Olive Oil
White Onion
Garlic, minced
White wine
Tomatoes, grape in this case
Capers
Salt
Pepper


Have I mentioned that one of the things about me is that I really don't measure when I cook. I only measure when I bake, as it is critical then. But cooking everyday food for my husband, even friends, I just add stuff. I add what I think looks right. The proportions need to be right and when you have been cooking for some time you just know how much to put in. This irritates my friends to no end because if they ask me for a recipe I often cannot tell them, or have to guess, the amounts of each ingredient. This is one of those recipes. I guess maybe it really is not a recipe if I don't have exact amounts uh? Hey listen, cooking is not an exact science all the time.

Anyway.....here is what I did. I took a copper skillet, cause I like the heat, heated it slightly and added the olive oil, maybe a couple of tablespoons. To that I added one sliced white onion and I cooked it on a somewhat low heat because I wanted the onions to cook slightly but still retain they shape. I added a couple cloves of minced garlic and gave that only a few seconds so it would not burn. I then added some white wine, honestly, enough to kinda cover what is in the pan, and I allowed that to simmer until evaporated. Add grape tomatoes that have been cut in half and cook until they are soft but still hold together. Next comes and capers, salt and pepper. And it is done. If you wanted you could add some kalamata olives, but I love capers and wanted to keep it the way it was.

You could use this on many types of fish, swordfish, halibut, any firm white fish. My husband grilled two swordfish steak, simply brushed with olive oil. We spooned the sauce over top and we were very pleased. It was yummy. With the fish I made a couscous. While grilling the fish we threw on a red bell pepper. I chopped up the red pepper and added it to the couscous and that was served with the fish. A nice little healthy simple fast meal.

I think my daughter would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments