Sunday, March 1, 2009

Life changing Chocolate Sorbet


It hit us like a ton of bricks.....we knew in that moment that everything had changed.

A local restaurant we frequent hosts wine and food pairings. We went to one last year and we were hooked. We have subsequently been back many times enjoying endless new taste sensations. This particular event, however, ended with a chocolate sorbet that was...... unbelievable. Sorbet? I saw it on the menu when we sat down and thought what's the big deal? Then it was served and first of all, it looked gorgeous, so of course I tasted it, and in the process... fell in love. My friends at the table with me all sat staring at each other for a moment. We were all in shock. It was like an EF Hutton moment......a hush feel over the table. The flavor and richness of this frozen dessert was something new for us all. Of course that started my quest for the recipe that I would add to my arsenal of tested and guest worthy desserts.

I looked at a lot of recipes..... a lot. Some required more ingredients. Some required more steps. Some were horrible. After testing recipes I can't say the additional ingredients or steps added anything significant to the end result. Ergo this recipe is the one I have settled on that is now and forever filed in my cookbook. Anyone can make this, it is not difficult, although you do need an ice cream maker. When you serve this your friends will think you're a genius.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup plus 2 tbsp water
  • 1/3 cup packed unsweetened dutch process cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • Pinch of salt
Pre-freeze your ice cream bowl according to manufacture instructions.
In a saucepan whisk together the water, cocoa powder and sugar. On medium heat bring to a boil whisking constantly. It should be very smooth at this point. Remove from heat. Add the chocolate and stir until it melts. Add the vanilla and salt and mix again. Allow to cool and then refrigerate until well chilled. Whisk the mixture again just before using and pour into the ice cream maker and freeze.

Makes about 1 1/2 to 2 cups. I guess it depends on how many time you have to taste it. It does make a small amount. This is however a very rich dessert which you will undoubtedly serve in very small amounts. This recipe would serve 4. A nice thin crisp cookie and a few fresh raspberries would be a nice addition.


Be sure to taste test if before serving it to your guests. This last picture is the result of what happens after the taste test.

Postscript: I recently served this for guests with macerated strawberries. I knew I was going to serve a California late harvest style port for dessert so I opened the bottle a little early and poured a couple tablespoons over some sliced organic strawberrys. I let them macerate while we were having dinner. When I served them over the sorbet they were a huge hit.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments